4 March 2017
The quality of photography is not something MINFIND can compromise on neither should you as a seller, since it will directly affect the quality of the platform and your ability to sell minerals. There are many guidelines available on mindat.org in respect of mineral photography. MINFIND will publish a comprehensive guidelines in due course, but here are a few guidelines.
- Increasing the contrast and saturation beyond realistic levels is strictly forbidden.
- You may hold the specimen in your hand, but busy backgrounds are not acceptable.
- Photographs may include mineral bases, but try to avoid unsightly tack. I little hot glue works wonders.
- Background removal is preferable. You can achieve outstanding results with www.clippingmagic.com
- All photographs must be cropped to a square aspect ratio, i.e. 1;1
- The mineral may bleed off the edges, if it is a close up.
- Try to keep a consistent margin around the mineral.
- MINFIND will automatically process hi-res images and render them at the correct size, so feel free to upload hi-res images.
- Modern Smartphones take amazing pictures for very little effort, so feel free to experiment.
MineralDesk Curator has a host of built in features to do image processing and cropping.